baseball, poetry, and kim chi

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Published or Not

Now that I have all of about 5 people visiting each day, I’d like to ask you all a question (or two). Do you feel that publishing your poetry on your blog disqualify it (that poem) from being published by magazines which require work to be unpublished? I just want to get a handle on this. My personal opinion is that it does not. However, I have seen a magazine (can’t remember which) that specifically stated that work submitted can not have appeared anywhere, including on a blog. So, am I being less than honest if I submit work, which first appeared here, to a magazine which does not mention a blog specifically?

I already asked Anthony Robinson this question, regarding his work, on his blog. He said, “I don't know if it means it's "published" or not. Since this is a personal blog, I'd say not. But other people have different opinions, I'm sure.

I've had a few poems on the Verse blog, but since they are a magazine devoted to printing poems and reviews in print and in blog form, I do consider it published--poetry is the biz they're in.

Me, well, shucks, I'm just me.”

Thanks Anthony. Now I’d like to hear from the rest of you.

2 Comments:

Blogger Adam said...

Well, we've had this issue come up with TYPO and we tend to not take poems that appear online already (blog or not). If a poem comes in that we really like, we do a google search to make sure. I guess we figure that if the poem's already on a blog, it doesn't need to be somewhere else. But the logic behind this is bound to be faulty, too.

10:29 AM

 
Blogger JWG said...

Adam,
Thanks. It is easy for me to say that all work is the writer's and they should be able to post it where they like. It is easy bc I don’t put out a magazine. Don’t put in the time that you folks do. I hear you. Typo will never receive anything from me but the freshest, most unseen, for Typo eyes only work. For those of you who have not looked at Typo yet, please do. Can’t wait for number 6 to come out.

10:09 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home