baseball, poetry, and kim chi

Monday, May 16, 2005

blogging generation

I am reading Hugh Kenner, thinking about communities and isolation, and being grateful that I live in this time, where I can be in Korea, yet still be around. I have never felt closer to a larger community than now. I miss the talks over a pint. That is where the best learning and teaching occurs,but short of that, this is awful nice. I was reading Silliman’s blog, and he is calling us “the blogging generation”. There is something to that. The blog creates a community where we can talk, and this talk allows each of us to do as we wish. If we want to talk about gardening or baking cookies, that is great. Before each of us was a poem, there was no face. Now there are faces everywhere. I know people I would not have known before. In my mind, one of the biggest things Naropa taught us was how to live like writers. We saw these communities, but we also saw how they grew. Berrigan came to NY with Tulsa, but that Tulsa expanded, it never went away, but it became inclusive. I think that is what this blogging allows us to do.


Sadly, there aren’t the cheap rents in SF or NY anymore, and writers have less time to do the nothing that helps us write. I need my nothing time. Found it over here teaching English. I work hard, but most of my day (from 830a – 630p) is my own. It would be even better in Thailand. Teach an online course (how many of you have done that? Where? How do I sign up?), teach a few ESL classes, then spend the rest of the time doing what you love. I see no reason why a writing community that exists on the ground must exist in the states. Seems to me what is most important are the people around you and the time you have. Am I missing something here? Some of you might have great gigs going, but if not, why are you where you are? I am still about a year away from returning to Thailand, but when I do go back, I hope to see some of you there.

I love the blog, but a pint is better.

and since I mentioned Kenner, here is a quote from him that might be relevant to blogging. "In no other country" but America, Kenner observed in "A Homemade World," his 1975 study of American modernist writers, "would it have been plausible for the telephone to be invented, which allows one to enter another's house without the ceremonies of entrance or introduction, and moreover without actually going there."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home