baseball, poetry, and kim chi

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

stick it

No from Stickman, but a yes from God.

last time Stickman wrote me:
Thank you for your interest in Stickman Review. Although your
submission was not quite right for us, it did receive extra attention
beyond the first reading, and we encourage you to try us again.

so I sent them more work. they wrote back:

Thank you for your interest in Stickman Review. Although your
submission was not quite right for us, it did receive extra attention
beyond the first reading, and we encourage you to try us again.

I trust that my work was in fact read a few times, but maybe that truth could be expressed in varied ways.

In the end, I am just glad anyone is reading my work. There is never more than a spoonful of bitterness. Appreciate the time these folks (i.e. editors the world over) put in just to bring us (some of) the poetry we deserve.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dylan Hock said...

Hi jwg,

I'm just curious, could you give a general estimate as to how much time you invest daily or weekly into exploring and submitting to zines?

11:46 PM

 
Blogger JWG said...

I Don’t really think of it as research. I just read a journal, and if I like it, I submit to it. And if I like that journal, I look at where it links. Go to those journals. Read. Follow their links. After a little while you begin to see a group of magazines that you like, that are linking to each other. find writers you like. Read their blog. See where else they are published.

How much time do I spend? Maybe an hour or two a day. But I consider that reading time too. When it stops being fun, I’ll stop doing it.

11:57 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home