baseball, poetry, and kim chi

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Guess who i saw

One of my weaknesses as a poet is my inability to shed light on poems. How to talk about these little dandies that exist fully on the page. I read criticism, and love the crit, but wonder if it helps my read. I still think about this, and wish, at times, that the crit would work the way I want it to. Lately thought my thoughts have turned more towards the critical essay as art. It doesn’t need to do anything anymore than a poem needs to do anything. It can be a trigger; it can be a pink binder clip. In the end, it doesn’t even need to be about what it says it is talking about. Now I am reading criticism independent of the poem it is supposed to be talking about and instead reading it as an adventure through the writer’s mind, much the same way I read a poem.

ON this note, it is nice to see that Simon is back. Took his link down long ago, but thanks to Adam Clay, I see that it is time to put that gadget back up. Go Go gadget

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes, check some dh lawrence or some guy davenport. where they take you in their essays is not where you think you'll go. it's always a surprise. totally recommend Davenport's Spiritual Geography...

Scott

10:22 AM

 
Blogger JWG said...

Will look at them. Thanks Scott. NC sounded like fun. I will be in NC this december. not sure how far brevard is from Duke and UNC

6:42 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home