baseball, poetry, and kim chi

Thursday, July 13, 2006

where i have been


Thailand and S and JWG. We started at the Oriental. Most fabulous place in the world. Is always at the top of the world rankings for hotels and there is a reason why, besides, it only cost 200 bucks for a night, and all of us deserve to be spoiled for a night. Next morning we headed to Koh Hai. Little island about 250 km from Phuket. Days there doing what people do on a lovely island, we swam and ate.

*I could not get my LA pic to go on the computer. Why? Dial up?*

LA is only there because Stacy and Pirooz live there, just moments away from each other and oh so close to the Hollywood stars. I saw a movie at the Chinese theater. I ate a meal in Korea Town. P and I cruised around and saw things. We saw the world cup championship in a bar and while we were drinking Coors light in this dark bar looked up and saw a picture of Charles B and we asked the bar tender and she told us that this bar was a favorite of Mr. B. I listened to P and his band play. I listened to The Conservation Hall Jazz band play. They played in Ameba records and they did it for free and we had no idea they were there only that it was hot outside and we had an hour to kill before the movie started so why not go in and look around. LA. Yes!


In Austin for two days visiting Scott and the Effing clan. Good people all, you can check a photo over at Scott’s blog to see what we were up to, and don’t believe everything you hear, in Scott’s backyard, those two folks do reside. In Austin I ate a roast beef and avocado sandwich for lunch twice. I ate a cheese burger and a poboy. I split my poboy with Brooks so I had me one half a catfish and one half an oysters. Oyster all the way. Plenty of beer. I visited UT and saw the library that houses my favorite map collection. I looked at poetry books and found Blue Heron by Jack Collom. Lovely, laughing, I need to buy the book. And then with Scott and Farid Matuk and Brooks, floating in the lake, drinking beer, food for mosquitoes, objects of curiosity for boats-men and turtles. Both are fun to touch. Farad’s is it the King (EFFING) has provided two great reads. He moves sounds in the first poem:


Out of a tin-cold, murmuring black wood/ Lightly you lope, pale deer, lifting/ a story of pages of snow


Back in North Carolina after about two weeks traveling. I am good at being in strange places, not so good traveling through them. I like my bed. I like my windows. Just got done feeding the cat fish.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jim Kober said...

Jim,

Will you be in Tucson? Will you materialize from some backyard or or or?

I haven't seen or heard of Fitty in some time. What's his thing?

Email me.

Joe and Michael and my woman and I would love to have drinks with you.


Best to your family,
Jim Kober.

6:42 AM

 
Blogger the IMAGINATIVE ACTION REGIME said...

i love mr. jim goar. he is fantastic.

4:03 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home