baseball, poetry, and kim chi

Friday, December 08, 2006

This time last year I was on my way to Brazil. Bought some Brazilian Portuguese CDs and was moving right along. Portuguese, ah, you lovely language. I can hear your sounds. But I am in Korea, and might be in Korea for some time, and if luck holds, someone from Korea will be in my life for quite a bit longer. So, I went back to the same company and bought the Korean CD. Now, I have been in Korea for about 2.5 years. Plugged in my Ipod today and began to listen. My god, I heard nothing. What the hell were they talking about. I felt a bit of panic. I was through five lessons of Portuguese in five days. And that was starting from nothing. I think this first lesson of Korean might take me a week or so.


A friend of mine lived in Brazil for a year before he came to Korea, fell in love, married and settled down. He was fluent in Portuguese after that one year. After two years in Korea, his Korean is still improving, but he is not much more than a beginner.


There are quite a few bus rides ahead of me. Before, on those rides, I'd spent all my time writing. Now I need to spend some of my time listening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home