baseball, poetry, and kim chi

Saturday, December 09, 2006

Today Vendler seldom reviews poets under 50, since their “frames of reference,” she says, are alien to her. “They’re writing about the television cartoons they saw when they were growing up. And that’s fine. It’s as good a resource of imagery as orchards. Only I’ve seen orchards and I didn’t watch these cartoons,” she said. “So I don’t feel I’m the best reader for most of the young ones.”

I rather like this quote. It is an admission that she does not know everything.

Thinking about this quote a bit more though, I wonder, doesn't she know about cartoons as much as she knows about landing on the moon or stars or orchards? Doesn't she know as much about cartoons as she does about being a man? Do we need to know about the subject we review, or can we just look at the poem and see how it works?

Could someone teach me how to be a better reader? I read a poem and simply say, "I like this." And when i try to explain what i like, that what i like, moves further away.

So I am sitting outside in the sun and feeling real nice and warm. Very content. And I say to my friend, "this is great, just perfect." and she says, "why?" and i try to explain and that perfect is no longer with me. I can point and say, "look", but if you don't see it, how can i explain it? It is what it is.

I need to go back to school.

2 Comments:

Blogger Logan Ryan said...

I have the same problem about talking about poetry. That's why a while back I started writing those mini-reviews. I thought it'd help develop my vocabulary for speaking about poems and poetry. I should keep doing that, but I'm lazy.

7:18 PM

 
Blogger Shyanmei said...

This is very similar to what I had been doing last quarter in my research sequence I course. We were supposed to learn everything about research. Instead we did endless interpretations to various types of articles or texts. If you are interested, you can talk to my professor. But I, vowed, would rather forget the word 'interpretation' for a least another month. Had enough of it!!!!

12:42 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home