baseball, poetry, and kim chi

Sunday, June 08, 2008

Don't break my window

“Unless you are educated in metaphor, you are not safe to be let loose in the world.” Robert Frost


Jay Parini cited this line from Frost as the specific line from Frost “that really drove me towards these kids.”

The kids he is talking about are the ones that busted up the Frost house. If you are curious, read the editorial in the NY Times linked to above.

Now to my rant:

What the hell does this line mean? Is he (Frost/Parini) speaking in metaphor? If so, what does it mean? If not, what does it mean? Why is metaphor essential? Is this poetic license?

I’d say something more along the lines of, “Unless you are educated in metaphor, you are not safe to be let loose in the Robert Frost house.”

And since the act is not the act but something else, what is it that the kids did in the sacred Frost abode?

2 Comments:

Blogger Jilly said...

I didn't understand that either.

3:46 PM

 
Blogger jwg said...

Sometimes lame statements like the one frost made and the next guy parroted, deep thoughts, poetic thoughts, make it very easy to want to get a physical destruction on. I see metaphor all over the act of the kids. I think the education in metaphor is apparent, it just does not point the way the dear scholar would like it to.

12:42 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home