baseball, poetry, and kim chi

Tuesday, August 05, 2008

I saw that Zachary Schomburg listed his ten favorite books of poetry. When I read his, I wanted to read my own. I think this is also a way to begin, reading a poem and then wanting to read your own poem, so writing one for yourself. So here are ten books. These are books that started something new in me or pushed me further into a project. These are books that helped.

The collected books of Jack Spicer by Jack Spicer
The Narrow Road to the Deep North by Basho
The Sonnets by Ted Berrigan
Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino
Parables and Paradoxes by Franz Kafka
The Dice Cup by Max Jacob
Selected Writings of Henri Michaux by Henri Michaux
Poems of Daniil Kharms (In 2003 I was in Bangkok. I saw a poem of his in the magazine, Third Bed. I began to search. I found a few collections online, so printed them out. No name. No translator’s name. Now, when I want Kharms, I go to Today I Wrote Nothing trans by Matvei Yankelevich)
Famous Americans by Loren Goodman
Coming through Slaughter by Michael Ondaatje

Looking back at this list, it is far from the list of ten books I would take to a desert island. Some of these books I have no desire to read again. Feel like I have gotten what I need from them. Others of these, well, I was reading one last night.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sean MacInnes said...

Lunch Poems Frank O'Hara
Collected George Oppen
Collected Kenneth Patchen
Howl and other poems
Tender Buttons
Selected e.e. cummings
Selected Carl Sandburg
Notes on the Possibilities and Attractions of Existence Anselm Hollo
Sonnets / Certain Slant of Sunlight Ted Berrigan
Song of Myself Walt Whitman

I will always return to those books.

But I will say more than any book in the canon so to speak, it's all the books and writings that have come from friends from Naropa that I cherish the most and have had the greatest impact on me as a writer, including but not limited to Jim Goar, Richard Fraude, Matt Langley, Melissa Benham, Teresa Sparks, Kyle Kaufman, Britta Kallevang, Kaisa Ulsvik, John Sullivan, Dave Gardner, Nikki Widner, Dylan Hock, Stacy Dacheux, Pirooz Kalayeh, Summer Rodman, Marlowe Fawcett, Thomas Henwood, Erik Anderson

12:15 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

www.arelis.gr
it contains the poem new york olympia the poetic composition exhibition of othodromic retrospection and the forbidden in greece erotonomicon [available only in the greek language]

6:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home