baseball, poetry, and kim chi

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Back from the Openned reading

Had a great time at the Openned reading. Think I made more friends than enemies. The foundry was packed. All chairs taken. Standing room in the back three deep. Had no idea this many people cared about poetry. Read from my Arthur sequence. Saw a video camera. Must be video. If it gets posted, I will post it here. *update: no video*

Got the 11:30p train back to Norwich. At some point I fell asleep. Woke up and the train was empty. Strange to be in an empty train late at night. Was happy when I got out. Taxi home. Asleep at 2:30a.

Back in my hammock today. Writing. Listing to archived Giants spring training games. Need the sound of baseball these days.

Changed the submission guidelines for past simple seven. Will only take poems first published on a personal blog. Would like to do something about ownership in poetry. The unquestioning. Why no previously published poems? Curious how this will play.

5 Comments:

Blogger Pirooz M. Kalayeh said...

You could just take best poems, and leave the question of something being previously published completely out of it. : )

8:03 PM

 
Blogger jwg said...

I have done that before. Published poems previously published.

I really only ask that a poet tell me when their work gets published so that no toes get stepped on.

Guess I am just tired of reading that a press will not publish work that has previously been published on a blog.

8:14 PM

 
Blogger Radish King said...

Yay Jim!!!

10:12 PM

 
Anonymous Paul Hertneky said...

I am completely and utterly miffed by literary magazines disallowing previously published work. This anachronistic practice violates what should be their mission: it keeps work away from readers and prevents writers from flourishing. Gifts must keep moving to retain and increase their value -- which is why I write in the first place. Holding art as property diminishes it.

Thank you, Jim, for calling this practice into question.

2:11 PM

 
Blogger jwg said...

Hi Paul,

Well, that was then... I still hold to it, but I am stepping back from past simple seven. Pirooz will edit this one. I need to get to work on some other projects. I will be back for #8

2:28 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home