baseball, poetry, and kim chi

Thursday, May 20, 2010

It is good to be liked

Dear Writers,

Please stop telling me that you were nominated for the Pushcart. I don’t think this means what you think it means. Here is the opening of their guidelines.

The Pushcart Prize nomination process.
Little magazine and small book press editors (print or online) may make up to six nominations from their year’s publications by our December 1, (postmark) deadline.

This means that ANYONE can nominate ANYONE for this prize. You could also tell me that your mother likes your poetry. Neither are badges of honor. Please stop. If you must talk about the pushcart, please only talk about it if you win. At least, there, I can be sure that your mother had nothing to do with it.

4 Comments:

Blogger the IMAGINATIVE ACTION REGIME said...

jim, i love this post. now, will you nominate me for pushcart prize? finally? ugh. you're going to start getting those kinds of emails now.

1:14 PM

 
Blogger jwg said...

Stacy,

So far I've been lucky. I have yet to have a single writer in past simple ask anything like this.

The thing is, I have no problem with the pushcart. Good on all the people nominated and good on all the people in it. If I was nominated, I'd take the nomination. It is good to be liked. Out of all the poems the editor saw, you were one of the favorites. A good pat on the back.

It is not the nomination that bothers me, only the wearing it as though it has any weight.

I could start a magazine tomorrow and nominate only my bestest friends, family, and pets. They could then say (except for my dog)that they were nominated for the PC.

A nomination, as in "he has been nominated for seven pushcarts", (at least without the mention of the magazine/editor from which they were nominated) means less than nothing. It means that that person is confused about the value of this nomination.

2:57 PM

 
Blogger Sangyeon said...

Samsa is not your dog.

8:04 AM

 
Blogger Radish King said...

Heeheeheeheheeee. This cracks me up. I have said this exact things many times on my blog and to my students. Good to hear I'm not alone in this...

1:57 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home